Arctic Silver Ceramique
When I built my computer I failed to put good thermal compound on the processor. On top of that I did it wrong and as a result for the past couple weeks while my house has been a bit hotter than normal my computer was shutting off due to overheating. I was hitting 119C. Well I am going to explain right now the best way to put thermal compound on a processor [or atleast the method that worked for me this time]
Things you will need
- 99% Isopropyl Alcohol [I used 91% but 99% is recommended]
- Cotton Swabs
- Lint free cloth
- Tube of Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Silver Ceramique [What I used]
Now the first 3 things you don’t HAVE to use if its a brand new processor but might as well do it right anyway.
- Clean the processor / heatsink by dipping the cotton swab in the Isopropyl
- Seat the processor in the motherboard
- Put a VERY SMALL amount [about 3/4 the size of a BB or 2 grains of rice] in the center of the processor
- DO NOT SPREAD IT AROUND
- Attach the heatsink to the motherboard
- Turn the computer on and monitor the temps very closely for the first few hours.
- Turn the pc off every evening to allow the compound to cool off and then heat up once it is turned back on [break in period] for about a week.
Thats it should be good to go.
Following those directions I got my processor to go from 119C to 50C [lower when the house is cooler]